[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 18:44:32 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 7/8/2014 11:13 AM, Richard Pierce wrote:
> I personally used a 'portable' 300-baud TI Silent 700 which printed on thermal paper and had an acoustic coupler on the side of it for those old phone handsets with the two circular cups. We dialed in and waited with great anticipation to see the next word coming from the remote machine. You also quickly learned what Ctrl-R was for due to the delete key didn't work very well‎ once the typed character was printed on thermal paper. Yes, 300 and 1200 baud were slow and taught us something about patience.

in college (early 1970s) my roommate had a GE Terminet 1200 which was a
120cps printer with plain paper and a ribbon, and an integral acoustic
coupler.   this was lightyears--er--12X faster than the defacto Teletype
stuff most folks had.  But, until circa 1980, most of my actual work was
with punchcards and/or (later) direct connect VDTs at 9600 baud.   I do
still have a USR Courier 2400E somewhere in storage, which was a 2400
baud modem that had data compression and could send plain ascii at about
9600 bps, along with a couple Racal Vadic 9600-ish modems.