[CentOS] beeps and a slow boot

Wed Jul 9 18:01:55 UTC 2014
Fred Wittekind <rom at twister.dyndns.org>

Cracking the case shouldn't be feared, I've done it many times, and I've
almost never damaged anything.

Recommendations:
Unplug it (I've seen this in previous posts), it used to be better to
leave it plugged in pre-ATX, given ATX's always powered on to some
extent, it's best to unplug it completely.

How much static charge you have doesn't really matter, as long as you
have the same charge as the equipment you are working on.  Be very aware
of this, you want to make sure to keep your charge equal to the
equipment you are working on.  This is the function of anti-static
bracelets.  Assuming you don't have one, just keep one hand on the
chassis of the computer while you work, or touch the chassis often.  And
don't move around in such a way as to build up charge, and if you do,
touch the chassis again.  I/O card have chassis too, it's the hanger
bracket.  Anti-static bags also also a way to equalize charge with the
component inside the bag, just by holding on to the bag.  If you have to
lay a part down on a table, lay it on a anti-static bag.

Be careful, don't use too much force.  If something seems to take a lot
of force, your probably not doing it right.

Dust can cause you many problems, keep the dust out of the equipment.
Make sure connectors are free of dust before connecting them.  Canned
air is good for this purpose.

Work slow and careful, be sure of what you are doing.  If something
takes longer to use a little extra care, then it takes longer.

Fear of cracking a computer case can actually itself result in damage to
expensive parts.  I've inherited plenty of equipment because of problems
caused by dust.