[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Wed Jul 9 18:56:40 UTC 2014
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 07/09/2014 01:38 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Remind me why
Sure.

> (a) you think that will be perfect,

Nothing is ever perfect, and I didn't use that word.  I think it will
be, after some bug-wrangling, an improvement for many use cases, but not
all.

> and (b) why you think an unpredictable daemon should be resurrected to
> continue its unpredictable behavior.

I have had services that would reliably crash under certain
reproduceable and consistent circumstances that were relatively harmless
otherwise.  Restarting the process if certain conditions were met was
the documented by the vendor solution.

One of those processes was a live audio stream encoder program;
occasionally the input sound card would hiccup and the encoder would
crash.  Restarting the encoder process was both harmless and necessary.
While the solution was eventually found years later (driver problems) in
the meantime the process restart was the correct method.

There are other init packages that do the same thing; it's a feature
that many want.