[CentOS] CentOS 7, not systemd questions

Wed Jul 9 19:39:15 UTC 2014
Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com>

On 07/09/2014 12:35 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us
wrote:
> Question 2: is grub still supported, or is there something that *FORCES*
> you to use grub2?

GRUB < 2 isn't supported, but it can be made to work.  I still use it on
most of my Fedora and EL7 systems.  Assuming that you already have GRUB
installed, the steps are basically:

* Tell anaconda not to install a bootloader

* After installation, boot from a different OS or live CD and manually
  create a GRUB stanza for your new OS

* Boot your new OS

* Create /etc/sysconfig/kernel

* ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc/

The last two steps enable grubby to update grub.conf when you install a
new kernel.

Ian Pilcher                                         arequipeno at gmail.com
           Sent from the cloud -- where it's already tomorrow