[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Wed Jul 9 20:27:54 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> If you don't follow the Fedora lists and get involved, well,
> you get what you pay for, I guess.

Following the list just makes it more painfully clear that they don't
care about compatibility or breakage of previously working
code/assumptions or other people's work.  It's all about change.   I
tried to use/follow fedora for a while, but gave up when an update
between releases pushed a kernel that wouldn't boot on the fairly
mainstream IBM server I was using for testing.

>  We already had Upstart, and the move from Upstart to
> systemd is not that big (at least in my opinion), so it's not something
> that got me up in arms.

Backwards compatibility isn't a big/little thing, it is binary choice
yes/no.  If you copy stuff over and it doesn't work, that's a no, and
it is going to cost something to make it work again.

>> Don't think people running a bunch of RH5 servers really cared about X
>> or desktops at all...
>
> You missed my Red Baron comment, didn't you?  I ran Red Hat Linux 4.1 as
> a desktop, and once Mandrake 5.3 was out I went completely Linux as my
> primary work and personal desktop.  I figured if I was going to run it
> as a server I needed to 'dogfood' things and really rely on it for daily
> work.  And my employer agreed.

Did you keep track of the time you spent keeping that working?

>> Yes, but on the other hand, people still pay large sums of money for
>> other operating systems.  And there are some reasons for that.
>>
> Many of which are not technical.

Many  aren't.   And many are just a large base of stuff that works and
will break if anything underneath changes.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com