[CentOS] CentOS-7 on a USB stick

Fri Jul 11 00:21:54 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> I tried dd-ing the ISO onto a USB stick, as suggested in
>> <http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7>,
>> but it didn't boot.
>> Did anyone have better luck with this?

> I did all of my test installs from USB, so it does work.
>
> The command is:
>
> dd if=./<name>.iso of=/dev/<device>

I did give the command precisely as you suggest:
  dd if=./CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-KdeLive.iso of=/dev/sdb
(noted at the time).

The error message when I booted with the stick
said that some file was not found.

When I later ran livecd-iso-to-disk (under Fedora-20)
I got a message that the USB partition had to be FAT formatted.
I changed the partition type to FAT (hex 6) and it worked fine.
So conceivably this was the reason why the dd-boot did not work.
But I have had failure with ISOs installed with dd before (not centOS).

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net