[CentOS] CentOS 7 Anaconda GUI resolution

Fri Jul 11 01:28:24 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 07/10/2014 08:01 PM, Daniel Johnson wrote:
> Greetings!  I tried installing CentOS v7 (1406) to an old spare
> machine, and the video card apparently don't play well with X.  It is
> incorrectly saying that either monitor I connect is only able to
> support 640x480, when one is 1024x768 and the other supports a higher
> (but now forgotten) resolution.  In no way do I expect a fix to be
> added just to support my antique.  :)
>
> What I'd like to find, or have added to future CentOS installation
> discs, is a way to force the GUI resolution.  Alternately, if nothing
> below 800x600 will show the GUI properly perhaps the installer should
> just forcibly set that as the minimum, no matter what the hardware
> claims to allow?
>
> Details of the hardware and such follow, let me know if you need more.
> =-=-=-=-=-=
>
> Under the normal boot from the normal DVD, graphics-mode output is
> discolored and squashed to the left of the display.  In the "Basic
> Graphics" troubleshooting mode the output is clear and proper, but
> still just 640x480.
>
> Server: Gateway E-9422R
> Video card: Matrox Graphics MGA G200e, PCI 102b:0522
>
> I captured the output of lspci, dmidecode, /tmp, and /var/log in both
> Normal and Basic Graphics boot modes.  The file is 1,692,776 bytes and
> has the following SHA1 checksum:
>
> f9cd800ced963e29d0bb3e4381596dc3b61a4c4c
> *CentOS7_InstallerResolutionProblem.tar.xz
>
> It can be downloaded from this link:
>   http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=55151826488339350948

There is a basic video install in the 3rd selection when you boot the
iso .. in the "Troubleshooting" section.  You might give that a try and
see if it works better after boot of the OS.  The anaconda drivers are a
subset of the drivers for the distro, so it might work better after initial.

Might also try one of the LiveGnome or LiveKDE isos.