[CentOS] journalctl and log server

Fri Jul 11 08:47:03 UTC 2014
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 3:00 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2014 23:26, "Matthew Miller" <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>> (In
>> fact, you can even turn off persistent journald if you like.) Or, you can
>> use 'imjournal' for more sophisticated integration if you like -- see
>> <http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/imjournal.html>.

      Is it me who have not had coffee yet or that assumes you have to
have rsyslog installed in the machine running systemd/journald? For
the sake of this discussion, let's say that is not an option for
whatever reason, so you must make journald talk to the rsyslog server.
What would need to be done in both ends?

> In fact in EL7 the default behaviour is no persistent journald since the
> logging is set to auto and there is no /var/log/journal ...
>
> The default behaviour is to have journald collect the logs and forward them
> all to rsyslog to then be stored on disk or filtered or forwarded just the
> same as in EL6 ...
>
> On a related note this does mean that if you want persistent journald
> logging you must remember to create that directory...

      Now, let's say we are trying to prove journald is superior to
rsyslog, so we must not use rsyslog in this machine (only in the
syslog server since it is up and has to deal with others)