[CentOS] Command Line Commands Aren't Working.....

Mon Jul 14 04:43:02 UTC 2014
Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. <eoconnor25 at gmail.com>

On 07/13/2014 09:41 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:09:55PM -0400, EGO-II.1 wrote:
>> Ok so I've gone ahead and gotten CentOS to install to a Unetbootin USB,
>> but when I go to install it from there and get the usual command prompt,
>> I try to get a GUI by going "startx"...but I get an error that says
>> "startx: command not found" How do I get the GUI to install from the
>> Live usb? (Mind you I chose the netinstall since it was smaller!) I have
>> tried everything I know...but cannot seem to get the GUI to come up.
>> (This also includes the "yum groupinstall "Desktop environment" command
>> which I’m told is ALSO not found!...what gives?) any advice or help
>> anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!
> I put up a little page which gives, among other things, the packages you
> need to get a basic X with dwm (which isn't in repos.)
>
> My page is at http://srobb.net/minimaldesktop.html
>

> What desktop are you expecting to get.
>
> If you're looking for the standard Gnome desktop, it's probably something
> like yum groupinstall 'Gnome Desktop' (or yum install
> @gnome-desktop-environment)

Thanks so much for the reply, I guess I should have RTFM huh? I was
trying to get the Gnome desktop, but I think I will just try again later
on in the week when time permits. I will definitely try the suggestions
you gave me. But one thing I noticed?...is that even whenI type in just
"yum" it returns a command not found......what would cause that? or am I
just stoopid?....I know when the USB boots up it gives me the option to
"Install CentOs" which I do select...and since it goes through all the
motions and lands me at a "#" command prompt...then it MUST have
installed properly....no? sorry for being such a pest.....

EGO II