[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 15 00:50:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 03:52:10PM -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-07-07, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:
> > Reading about systemd, it seems it is not well liked and reminiscent of
> > Microsoft's "put everything into the Windows Registry" (Win 95 onwards).
>
> Has anyone here actually interacted with systemd, and if so could you
> perhaps provide a writeup of your experiences?  I feel like I haven't
> seen any practical information on systemd in this thread, and I'd like
> to have that before forming an initial opinion (at which point I'd
> attempt to interact with it myself in order to form a better informed
> opinion).

I've been using systemd ever since it was introduced in Fedora, and
the RHEL7 beta and CentOS7 final since it came out.  I could tell you
about all the positive and negative experiences I've had.  There's
been a lot of misinformation posted on this list (such as the Windows
Registry reference)[1].  I wouldn't want to make any decisions about
systemd based on what I've seen on this list.

However, I think you should try it out yourself.  I suggest giving it
a try in a VM, or try one of the CentOS7 LiveCDs.  I was quite
hesitant about systemd when I started using it, but it was experience
that led me to be able to make good judgements about it.

1. See the systemd myths web page
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html