[CentOS] Installing CentOS7 boot loader into the /boot partition

Thu Jul 17 18:27:29 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 7/17/2014 6:38 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> There is other discussion around the web on this issue for GRUB2 (which
>> >is where the issue lies).  The core is that GRUB2 is quite a bit larger
>> >than GRUB 1, and thus it may or may not be safe to install to a
>> >partition.
> I am a programmer myself. Gee it must be really hard to determine
> whether enough space exists in a partition to install the GRUB2
> bootloader <g>.

the stage 1 and 1.5 bootloader aren't in the file system, they are
stored on the reserved first few sectors.   its possible core.img in
grub2 is too large to store in the partition boot record space, I dunno
how big that is.