[CentOS] Installing CentOS7 boot loader into the /boot partition

Thu Jul 17 22:00:23 UTC 2014
Edward Diener <eldiener at tropicsoft.com>

On 07/17/2014 04:05 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 07/17/2014 02:41 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> Programming is about calculations as well as logic. It cannot be
>> impossible to calculate how big core.img is, how much space is in the
>> partition in which grub2 is installed and either tell the end-user it
>> can or cannot be done.
> For more on this from the GNU GRUB developers, please see
> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#BIOS-installation

I can only say that I have always used a dedicated /boot partition for a
Linux distro, I have never had a Linux distro have access to a /boot
partition in a different Linux distro, and the only thing I have ever
manually done with a /boot partition is back it up somewhere offline.
What problems this straighforward use of the /boot partition, and
installing the bootloader on it, can entail in this sort of scenario,
which must be pretty common, I cannot guess. I do understand that
CentOS7, as an Enterprise Linux distro, may want to limit an
installation of grub2 from being installed on a separate /boot partition
but at the same time the assumption being made is that CenTOS7 should
now controlling bootup of a computer. I think thsi needs to be documented.

I did manage to install grub2 in my CentOS7 /boot partition, and
everything seems to be alright. The only negative effect is that CentOS7
changed my BIOS time incorrectly. But that has been fixed.