[CentOS] using Red Hat site for documentation

Wed Jul 30 14:03:10 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 07/30/2014 08:38 AM, Adrian Buciuman wrote:

<snipping>

--

> The way I understand it, most RHEL documentation has a more permissive
> license, like CC-BY-SA: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
> and can be redistributed under certain conditions.
> However, the terms of use still apply to using the Red Hat websites
> (=bandwidth).
>
> But if someone is a Red Hat customer, he can legally access the site,
> fetch the documentation and redistribute it to everyone.

This is best asked of lawyers, and I'm betting many of the folks who
chime in here won't have passed the bar.  *MY* understanding (IANAL) is
that you may redistribute the documentation so long as you follow the
CC-BY-SA license.

> Since RHEL and CentOS are now collaborating, can they sort out this issue?

We've been discussing this previously with the RH folks. The issue is
that we want to change the documentation (we don't do entitlements,
subscriptions, etc). In altering the documentation, we must then make
other changes as required by the license, but the source used to
generate the docs isn't available in most cases.

 We've not had the free cycles deal with the html edits and keep up with
it. Oracle uses the pdf copies of the docs rather than changing things,
but a pdf in a browser isn't exactly 'nice'.

Patches welcome.

--
Jim Perrin