[CentOS] using Red Hat site for documentation

Wed Jul 30 20:03:29 UTC 2014

Oh, boy. Now I have to rant on Linux and RedHat after being so happy with
them for much longer than a decade. OK, the first thing I have to admit:
I'm ignorant person. Please teach something...

Now questions:

1. How often do you reboot your Linux servers? (every about 45 days there
is either kernel or glibc update. I remember somewhere about RedHat 5 -
RedHat 7 machines having uptime about 2 years)

2. All major Linux distributions either have switched to systemd or plan
to do so in next release... I prefer system V init. I don't like something
big handling everything when there is no reason to.

And the list can go on...

But there are changes I really like (to keep the balance...). Such as
switching to XFS as to default fs! And BTW, I was extremely happy I went
with RedHat/CentOS when my debian friend sysadmin was re-creating all keys
and certificates (and rebuilding systems) after known random number
generator flop debian had...

So, please, teach me something: how do I build enterprise level server
based CentOS 7 which I'll be able to run 1-2 years without reboot (I did
apologize already for being ignorant person ;-)

Thanks.
Valeri

On Wed, July 30, 2014 2:13 pm, Always Learning wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-07-30 at 09:07 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>
>> ..... And even though I'm using CentOS on all workstations in the
Department and on several older servers (introduction and philosophy of
RHEL 7 made it clear that new servers will definitely be not CentOS 7,
-