[CentOS] nodejs, epel, SCL

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jun 2 11:58:06 UTC 2014

On 05/30/2014 12:50 PM, Eugene Vilensky wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> EPEL is self-reliant. Nothing in EPEL will depend on another other than
>> Base/Updates. You need to check which repo you're installing the package
>> from, and be careful with the package name itself. There shouldn't be
>> duplicate names.
>>
>> In your example, the nodejs package is coming from SCL, so you would
>> need to use the scl tools to enable that utility (which then
>> appropriately updates your user's environment)
>>
> ​Hi Jim,
>
> I'm afraid I'm definitely using the EPEL package n​ame but the resolved
> dependency for http-parser is from SCL:
> Perhaps because the SCL version of http-parser is a higher version?
>
> https://gist.github.com/evilensky/75febbdfbdeb49a3142f
>
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

That can happen with the SCL repo ... in cases where you are getting
something you don't want from SCL, exclude it via the CentOS-SCL.repo
file in /etc/yum.repo.d/

A line that says:

exclude=nodejs0*

should take care of that problem.

If you are not using any SCLs, then you can disable the repo ... IF you
want to use both nodejs's and EPEL's does not work with the RHEL nodejs
too, then they need to fix it as you should be able to install and use both.