[CentOS] nodejs, epel, SCL

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:47:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 05/30/2014 01:58 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Is yum supposed to track the dependencies separately?   That is, if an
>> EPEL package requires some other package (expected with the stock
>> paths), can an SCL package fulfill that dependency even though it will
>> be installed in a location that won't work?
>>

> SCL's require that you properly configure them to work with the system
> ... you CAN likely use that version IF you modify the environment for
> the program in question.  Or you can use the EPEL version and exclude
> nodejs010 from the SCL's .repo file in /etc/yum.repo.d/
>
> SCL's are not automatically set up, as they are designed to only be used
> when properly configured and should live alongside other older
> packages.  As such, they require added knowledge and administrative
> overhead, much like multiple 3rd party repos can ... but they also
> provide lots of added capabilities.

That seems pretty dangerous if the packages replace standard or EPEL
libraries/components.   I'd have expected them to have some sort of
namespace concept for dependencies to keep the sets of packages
completely independent.   That is, I thought being independent was the
point.   Shouldn't you be able to have multiple versions installed?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com