[CentOS] [OT] OSX-10.9.3 cd ~'/ problem with spaces'

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Jun 5 19:17:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Tue, June 3, 2014 13:03, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> Try
>>
>> cd "${HOME}/Library/Application Support/"
>>
> hll-m22:~ byrnejb$ cd "${HOME}/Library/Application Support/"
> -bash: cd: /Users/byrnejb/Library/Application: No such file or directory

It looks to me like your quotes are getting lost somehow. I was able
to use that very snippet on every Mac to which I have access.

Obviously, $HOME was expanded correctly, so that's not a problem, but
there's something really odd about the double-quotes not being
honored.

You might try the C-escape syntax (note prefixed $):

   cd $'/Users/byrnejb/Library/Application Support'

Which $SHELL are you using?

Does your shell rc file have any funky options set like rcquotes or
nonstandard $IFS?

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com