[CentOS] Analyzing the MBR

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jun 5 21:00:27 UTC 2014

On 6/5/2014 1:56 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> mkpart pri 0.0GB x.GB
> *always*  gives me aligned partions (and parted - talk about user hostile
> programs! "Not aligned", with not a clue as to what it actually wants....)

I've taken to always running parted with -a none, as its alignment rules
are based on old concepts like cylinders, heads, which are meaningless
and even WRONG on today's storage devices. (63 heads, 255 sectors is not
uncommon, this means everything at a cylinder or head is on an ODD
sector boundary, ouch!)