[CentOS] Analyzing the MBR

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jun 5 21:55:50 UTC 2014

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/5/2014 1:56 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> mkpart pri 0.0GB x.GB
>> *always*  gives me aligned partions (and parted - talk about user
hostile programs! "Not aligned", with not a clue as to what it actually
wants....)

> I've taken to always running parted with -a none, as its alignment rules
are based on old concepts like cylinders, heads, which are meaningless
and even WRONG on today's storage devices. (63 heads, 255 sectors is not
uncommon, this means everything at a cylinder or head is on an ODD
sector boundary, ouch!)

Dunno 'bout that, but my method is what I found after much googling, and
seem to provide better throughput on the drives, *esp* if they're large (>
2TB), and have physical sectors of 4k, but which are usually presented as
the traditional 512B

       mark

PS: I HATE manitu, I *hate* IX, and I've emailed them to that effect, the
*ssh*l*s.

   I'll ask again: is it against the rules of this list to have
whitelisted posters?