[CentOS] Where to change login screen options

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jun 6 15:14:53 UTC 2014

Lars Hecking wrote:
> Wes James writes:
>> I've looked around in the menus and googled this, but I can't find a way
>> to make the login require a username instead of just showing the
>> available users to select from. ??Where do I change this? ??I'm using
>> CentOS 6.5.
>
>  I'm surprised you cannot find this. It's a very popular topic across all
> OSes and distros that run Gnome.
>
>  http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-July/115120.html
>
>  Alternatively, you can edit /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml
>  directly.

Right, if the next release/subrelease doesn't change where the file is,
and of course editing .xml files is sooo much better than, say, plain text
files.

Or, as someone suggested, you could use kdm for login, and right *there*
it offers you a choice of which window manager to use, as opposed to
gnome, that wants to lock you in, like, say, someone north of Seattle....

        mark "me? anti-gnome?"