[CentOS] LDAP login problem for CentOS 6.5

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jun 10 18:53:14 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-06, mordech3 at post.tau.ac.il <mordech3 at post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> In addition, system-config-authentication requires the use of LDAPS or
> LDAP with TLS. Only command line tools are able to configure simple
> LDAP (no TLS or SSL).
> However, even being a security measure, we'd like to avoid all the
> (serious) burden of working with certificates at first for simple
> experimentation.

Here are some guides that I referenced to configure CentOS LDAP auth
without certificates:

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7679
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-enterprise-47/rhel-6-ldap-now-requires-tls-843917/

That being said, if you are starting from the ground up, I think it's
probably better to start moving towards using SSL certs.  It is likely
to get harder and harder to configure plain LDAP auth in CentOS,
especially with RHEL 7 coming out.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us