[CentOS] umask setting in /etc/profile not working

Tim Dunphy

bluethundr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:14:31 UTC 2014

Hey all,

 We have the following set in /etc/profile :

umask 0002

so that it will affect all users. That should create all files as 664 and
all directories as 775 if I'm not mistaken.

Well I logged into the machine after this was set and just created a file
as one of the users who complained about permissions settings on files. And
this is what I saw:

[user1 at qa_host ~]$ ls -l test_qa
-rw-r--r-- 1 user1 domain^users 0 Jun 11 10:08 test_qa

I even tried logging out and logging in again just to be sure. I still got
the same result.

So my question is why would the file not have the permissions specified by
the umask command in /etc/profile ? I really need this to work for the
users.

Any helps or clues would be great!

Thanks
Tim