[CentOS] umask setting in /etc/profile not working

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:39:59 UTC 2014

> I have a fairly recent install of centos 6.5 and get:
> [root at critter etc]# grep -i "umask" *
> bashrc:    # By default, we want umask to get set. This sets it for
> non-login shell.
> bashrc:       umask 002
> bashrc:       umask 022
> bashrc:    umask 077
> csh.cshrc:    umask 002
> csh.cshrc:    umask 022
> login.defs:UMASK           077
> php.ini:; does not overwrite the process's umask.
> profile:# By default, we want umask to get set. This sets it for login
> shell
> profile:    umask 002
> profile:    umask 022

Thanks. We're using bash here. And I became the user who complained and
could not find another umask setting:

[user1 at qa_host ~]$ grep -i "umask" *
[user1 at qa_host  ~]$

On another related question... the user is also complaining about ownership
of files and directories. Couldn't I just solve that problem with a sticky
bit, i.e. chmod -R u+s * and chmod -R g+s *?

And as mentioned I have only one umask set in /etc/profile

[root at qa_hostapps]# grep umask /etc/profile
umask 0002

Thanks

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM, zep <zgreenfelder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/11/2014 10:14 AM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> >  We have the following set in /etc/profile :
> >
> > umask 0002
> >
> > so that it will affect all users. That should create all files as 664 and
> > all directories as 775 if I'm not mistaken.
> >
> > Well I logged into the machine after this was set and just created a file
> > as one of the users who complained about permissions settings on files.
> And
> > this is what I saw:
> >
> > [user1 at qa_host ~]$ ls -l test_qa
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 domain^users 0 Jun 11 10:08 test_qa
> >
> > I even tried logging out and logging in again just to be sure. I still
> got
> > the same result.
> >
> > So my question is why would the file not have the permissions specified
> by
> > the umask command in /etc/profile ? I really need this to work for the
> > users.
> >
> > Any helps or clues would be great!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Tim
>
> depending on your shell; are you sure you're referencing
> /etc/profile at all?  e.g. are you using bash or bourne?
> the prompt looks pretty bash like, but assumptions and all.
> are you sure there's not another umask entry either
> in the user's homedir .file or in something like /etc/bashrc...
>
> I have a fairly recent install of centos 6.5 and get:
> [root at critter etc]# grep -i "umask" *
> bashrc:    # By default, we want umask to get set. This sets it for
> non-login shell.
> bashrc:       umask 002
> bashrc:       umask 022
> bashrc:    umask 077
> csh.cshrc:    umask 002
> csh.cshrc:    umask 022
> login.defs:UMASK           077
> php.ini:; does not overwrite the process's umask.
> profile:# By default, we want umask to get set. This sets it for login
> shell
> profile:    umask 002
> profile:    umask 022
>
> and the php.ini warning is useful to keep in mind; you
> can't add back perms with umask, it can only take
> away.   so if you start off with reference to /etc/profile
> that does umask 022, which then calls /etc/system-settings.profile
> that calls umask 077, then get to the users .bashrc
> file and try to do umask 002, you'll still be removing all
> perms for group and other, the last call won't change anything.

GPG me!!