[CentOS] umask setting in /etc/profile not working

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:58:13 UTC 2014

> >On another related question... the user is also complaining about
> ownership
> >of files and directories. Couldn't I just solve that problem with a sticky
> >bit, i.e. chmod -R u+s * and chmod -R g+s *?
> possibly; although you can also screw things up pretty well if
> the user has done something like.. mkdir x; cd x ; ln -sf /etc
> ./et_cetera_config_files

Ok. Crap I hope not. I just did this. Should've waited for some advice. The
sites are still up so I guess that's a good sign. Still I hope nothing too
bad happened!

> >And as mentioned I have only one umask set in /etc/profile
> >
> >[root at qa_hostapps]# grep umask /etc/profile
> >umask 0002
> >

> but /etc/profile isn't the only thing that bash calls/uses (at least not
> by default)
>
> what do you get if you do a 'egrep umask /etc/*' ?
> and in the home dir, what do you get from egrep umask .??* ?

This is what I have.. although I think everything I see is already set the
way that we want. Unless umask 002 doesn't correspond to umask 0002.

[root at uszmpwsld011 apps]# grep umask /etc/*
/etc/bashrc:    umask 002
/etc/bashrc:    umask 002
/etc/csh.cshrc:    umask 002
/etc/csh.cshrc:    umask 022
/etc/csh.login:# Set umask consistently with bash for loginshells
(csh.login sourced
/etc/csh.login:# after csh.cshrc unlike with bash profile/bashrc scripts
and umask
/etc/csh.login:      umask 002
/etc/csh.login:      umask 022
/etc/ltrace.conf:octal umask(octal);
/etc/ltrace.conf:octal SYS_umask(octal);
/etc/php.ini:; does not overwrite the process's umask.
/etc/php.ini.2.bak:; does not overwrite the process's umask.
/etc/profile:umask 0002
/etc/xinetd.conf:       umask           = 002

And as I mentioned all users are using bash.

Thanks
Tim

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM, zep <zgreenfelder at gmail.com> wrote:

> >On another related question... the user is also complaining about
> ownership
> >of files and directories. Couldn't I just solve that problem with a sticky
> >bit, i.e. chmod -R u+s * and chmod -R g+s *?
>
> possibly; although you can also screw things up pretty well if
> the user has done something like.. mkdir x; cd x ; ln -sf /etc
> ./et_cetera_config_files
>

> >And as mentioned I have only one umask set in /etc/profile
> >
> >[root at qa_hostapps]# grep umask /etc/profile
> >umask 0002
> >

> but /etc/profile isn't the only thing that bash calls/uses (at least not
> by default)
>

> what do you get if you do a 'egrep umask /etc/*' ?
> and in the home dir, what do you get from egrep umask .??* ?

GPG me!!