[CentOS] Information Week: RHEL 7 released today

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jun 11 19:01:24 UTC 2014

On 06/10/2014 04:41 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 6/10/2014 15:34, John R. Dennison wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 03:28:55PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>>> It's different this time.  The CentOS people have had inside access to
>>> RHEL since December last year.[1]
>> They have the same "inside access to RHEL" as everyone else; namely the
>> RHEL 7 beta and RC releases.
> Really?  http://sdt.bz/content/article.aspx?ArticleID=68721&page=1
>
> Several CentOS core developers are now Red Hat employees, and this
> changes nothing?
>
> During the ~6-month RHEL 6 to CentOS 6 effort, the reason for the delay
> is that Red Hat surprised everyone by changing a bunch of things.  Now
> we have people on the inside for 6 months, but everyone's still ignorant?

No one is INSIDE ... the CentOS team works from the same place now as we
always have .. our homes.

The 4 people hired by Red Hat work for a group inside of Red Hat called
the Open Source and Standards group.  We have no access to the RHEL
build system or RHEL source code inside Red Hat.

We get the source code for the older releases from ftp.redhat.com, just
like everyone else ... we get the source code for RHEL 7 from
git.centos.org just like everyone else.

We just brought into the CentOS team members of CERN Linux team (they
volunteered from the community .. they do not work for Red Hat) to help
us with the community buildsystem:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/010517.html

Red Hat brought in the CentOS team because Red Hat wanted to have a
community platform for their community projects like oVirt, OpenShift
Origin, Gluster, Ceph, RDO, etc.  They also brought us in to do
community related Special Interest Groups.  FAQ is here:

http://community.redhat.com/centos-faq/

I wish we had special access and special knowledge ... but its just not
true.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes