[CentOS] USB blues

Billy Crook bcrook at riskanalytics.com
Wed Jun 11 20:54:14 UTC 2014

Sounds very much like an electrical supply problem.  Does it ever affect
host-powered peripherals or just ones powered off AC mains?  Are you using
a UPS?

Try an alternate psu in the system.  or running on just one psu module at a
time if you have redundant modules.  This system isn't a bulk storage
system with tonnes of hdds, is it?

You mention the lspci and lsusb you included earlier were taken AFTER the
problem.  What differences are there immediately after a fresh boot before
the problem occurs. add -t to lsusb.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:

> I have a freshly built, updated EL6 system and am having problems with
> USB stability - at boot everything works fine but within a few hours,
> USB devices start disappearing randomly. At first I though the USB
> devices were suspect, but removing the suspect devices and an accessory
> PCIE USB card hasn't changed anything. As of now, a single USB device is
> working. (which is lucky, it hosts the OS) I've rebooted the server
> several times trying to diagnose the problem. After a reboot, everything
> works great - for a while. Is this a driver issue or just a bum
> motherboard/chipset?
>
> The system is  built based on the SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O available here:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182253
>
> According to the OS compatibility matrix, the most recent CentOS 6.5 is
> supported:
> http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C204.cfm
> and all yum updates have been applied.
>
> I have the output of /var/log/messages since the last reboot here:
> http://hal.schoolpathways.com/lastboot.txt
>
> Notes: Everything was working after the boot. Devices read/wrote fine.
>
> ata9.00 HD errors are known, it's the old ATA O/S drive.
>
> Jun 11 01:07:36: Problem begins shortly after leaving for the day,
>
> Jun 11 03:35:44 sdi goes offline, it's one of the two USB boot devices
> and is plugged into the USB port directly on the main board. (IE: It's
> not a bad cable)
>
> Jun 11 15:53:43  b2012 goes offline, it's mounted USB.
>

> Here's the output of lspci (Note, this is when the system is having a
> problem)
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core
> processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network
> Connection (rev 05)
> 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
> 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
> 00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
> 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
> 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a5)
> 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C204 Chipset Family LPC Controller
> (rev 05)
> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
> Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
> 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
> SMBus Controller (rev 05)
> 01:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB363 SATA/IDE
> Controller (rev 03)
> 01:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB363 SATA/IDE
> Controller (rev 03)
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network
> [...]

Billy Crook • Network and Security Administrator • RiskAnalytics, LLC