[CentOS] issue_discards in lvm.conf

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Thu Jun 12 21:02:12 UTC 2014

--On Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:35:26 AM -0400 "James B. Byrne"
<byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> I have a question about SSD respecting security.  [...]
> I have come to the rather
> unsettling conclusion that it is effectively impossible to 'sanitize'
> these things short of complete and utter physical destruction, preferably
> by incineration.

I would concur with that assessment.  Similar to what others have
mentioned, with spinning platters I use either DBAN for relatively
insensitive disks and physical destruction for sensitive stuff
(preferably after DBAN, if it is still a working disk). When it comes
to SSD and other memory-based technologies, physical destruction only.

A couple of weeks ago I was buying some consumer-grade disks for a
particular project.  The sales guy was of course trying to up-sell
me on their in-store replacement plan.  I tried to explain to him
that even if I thought such plans were actually worth something, it
would be pointless because I *never* RMA a hard drive.

I think he was dense; he didn't seem to grasp the concept.

Devin