[CentOS] yum install to a portable location

Robert Stuart r.stuart at qut.edu.au
Fri Jun 13 03:30:31 UTC 2014

Hi Dan,

Chroot gets you a space that "looks" like it is a separate system. Given
this is R, I assume you are probably wanting this for HPC like
purposes... Could I suggest building your own version of R and
installing into a nfs area? You may also wish to investigate the
facilities provided by the package environment-modules - they can be
quite handy (these aren't environmental monitoring).

My R users tend to need the later versions of R. I configure R with
something like:
./configure --prefix=/nfs_apps --enable-R-shlib --with-x --with-tcltk

Regards
Robert