[CentOS] Hardware watchdog timer, no IPMI, no /dev/watchdog

Digimer

lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Jun 15 03:28:32 UTC 2014

Hi all,

   I've got a Portwell NANO-6060 board I am testing out for potential
use in a project of ours. One of the nice features of this board, beyond
nice NICs, is that it has a hardware watchdog timer.

   The problem is that I don't get a /dev/watchdog device file. I know
the hardware works, because when I enable it in BIOS, the box will
reboot after the timer expires. However, without the /dev/watchdog
device, I don't have a way to kick it.

   In dmesg, I see:

NMI watchdog enabled, takes one hw-pmu counter.

   So it *looks* like it's there. Also, I installed the 'watchdog'
package (but not the IPMI package) and the watchdog service is running.

Any tips?

Thanks!

--
Digimer