[CentOS] issue_discards in lvm.conf

Dan Hyatt dhyatt at dsgmail.wustl.edu
Mon Jun 16 14:53:37 UTC 2014

   I worked in the SSD lab at STEC for a while, testing SSD's and fixing
SSD's that failed...

When I was working in the lab on the Zuess  drives (First enterprise
class SSD drive) . When the drives came back from our customers hosed,
all we had to do was re-flash the firmware (helps if you have the
software and the firmware to reflash the drives, the hardware was your
basic server).  I don't know about you problem, or which manufacturing
process drives you are using...but the Zeuss drives only needed a
firmware reflash.

This was just a 2u server with a software program that would allow me to
reflash the drives.

There were 2 kinds of SSD drives (2 manufacturing processes). The
consumer grade which had a MTF of 2 years, and/or X writes.   There was
the other process, enterprise class drives which had a MTF of ~ (yes
infinity) theory was they would never fail.

I knew how to blow up the drives, run them well beyond the capacity of
spinner drives. But then I would flash the firmware and the drive would
be good as new.  I would be running about 200 music videos at the same
time to get enough throughput to cause it to crash. The goal was to find
*when* they blew up, so we could limit them in firmware before then.

We all know manufacturers know how to make benchmarks lie. They told me
which tests to run to make our drives blow away the spinners, and which
ones not to do. The very fragmented drives RO, SSD blew away the
spinners, but Writting sequentially (both blank drives to start) there
was little difference.

When our customers (the major SAN manufacturers) returned the drives.
There was one of two things wrong with them...
1. They got a drive with a bad firmware version. Reflash and it is fixed.
2. Their design was good enough for spinner drives but did not follow
the standard for [SAS|FIBER]  and we found the problem, advised them
what it was so they could change thier design.

I remember when I dropped a $40k sample...lab manager looked at
me...stared at me...then burst out laughing. The enterprise SSD's were
nearly indestructible and when someone dropped on for the first time,
they would *try* to look angry, but then would burst into laughter at
the nervous engineer.

If I got any details slightly off, hey it was a decade ago!   :)

--

Dan Hyatt