[CentOS] good thin client PDF reader for centos 6.4

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Fri Jun 20 02:20:22 UTC 2014

On Jun 19, 2014 10:12 PM, "Bob Hepple" <bob.hepple at gmail.com> wrote:

>  <m.roth at ...> writes:
>

> > Dan Hyatt wrote:
> > > Any suggestions for a good lightweight pdf reader for my centos
servers?

> > evince, that I think is installed by default?
> >
> > Oh, and here's a neat one that's *not* a lightweight reader, that my
> > manager introduced me to last year: xournal. It lets you *edit* .pdfs,
> > including the ones that don't intend for you to edit them. It was
*really*
> > nice to have that when we did our (US) state taxes - the federal forms
are
> > editable, but not the state, except I could with xournal.
> >
> >           mark
> >

> Nice find - but it lacks a 'Find' function unless I'm going blind.
>
> okular is another KDE one that I like - rpm is 703186 bytes
>
> epdview is another - rpm is 416642 bytes
>

> Bob

I don't think that the rpm size has much to do with a lightweight process.
Shared libs, bad programming, ... can all easily cause a small rpm to cause
more disk space, memory and CPU usage than a larger one.

If I have to do something remotely or just want a quick glance at
something, I still use xpdf. Old interface but just like vi, once you got
used to it, it's just quicker and easier than most modern alternatives.

Peter.