[CentOS] Mother board recommendation

Tue Jun 3 18:26:07 UTC 2014
Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On 05/16/2014 11:23 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> hardware doesn't support ECC.
> <snip>
> Oh, right, *all* the servers here use ECC DIMMs. And you really, REALLY
> don't want to go there: a) price, b) n/s is not buffered is not
> registered, none of the above compatible in the same bank, and oh, yes,
> dual rank is *not* compatible with single rank or quad rank... I kid you
> not. I've had servers simply not boot by mixing two of those, and let's
> not forget not fitting in the slot...., and c) see a).

ECC is such a horrible pain in the rear. If you don't have things like
"SLA" in your casual vocabulary, pretty much any desktop board works
find for Centos6. For spare/personal/backups servers, I use whatever old
hardware sits in the junk room.

Anything using ECC is such a pain to match up correctly that I tend to
buy motherboard/RAM/CPU from a vendor as a package unit so it's
warranted to work together. Registered/Unregistered, CAS timing,
single/double/quad ranked, never mind voltages, and making sure your CPU
supports it!

For all the promises of better uptimes, I've had far more trouble with
mis-matched  ECC than I've ever experienced in bad non-ECC RAM. Truly,
this is a sorry showing for ECC.

Ben