[CentOS] Analyzing the MBR

Thu Jun 5 12:07:03 UTC 2014
David Both <dboth at millennium-technology.com>

The dd command shows you **exactly** what is in the MBR and, if you want, the
following sectors. But the following sectors are not particularly relevant to
boot. THe MBR contains the boot record and the partition table. There is not
room for anything else. But your problem is not with the MBR so the solution
does not lie there.

Although you have already reinstalled, you might have recovered by changing the
boot order of the hard disks in the BIOS configuration for your computer. Most
computers have that capability these days. You might also have booted to a
recovery disk (most install DVDs have recovery mode as a menu option) and noted
the sequence in which the drives were recognized by BIOS by using the dmesg
command. Perhaps you plugged the drives back into different locations on the
bus. Are they PATA or SATA?

As far as what appears to be your original problem, discovering information
about a hard drive, the smartctl command can give you plenty of information
about a drive even if it is not in the database. You just need to use the -a or
-x options. You could also have used fdisk -l /dev/<driveID> to display the
basic capacity information about the drive. And the dmesg command can also give
you information about your hard drives and the way the kernel sees them before
you need to use rescue mode.

I hope this helps a bit for future issues.