[CentOS] Loss of Ethernet adaptor

Tue Jun 10 18:27:33 UTC 2014
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Mon, June 9, 2014 12:57, Steve Clark wrote:

> This show how to do a one time boot and then the next time boot the original
> system
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/Booting-once_002donly.html

Thank you.  Based on my readings of this reference there are two mechanisms
available: 1. boot once, 2. fallback.

The critical step seems to be issuing the command 'grub-set-default n' where n
is a value between 0 and the number of entries in boot.conf less one.

Reading the boot-once fallback documentation it recommends fallback as the
superior alternative.

<---
Then you may want GRUB to boot the first system which is bootable among `A',
`B' and `C'. A configuration file can be written in this way:

     default saved        # This is important!!!
     timeout 10
     fallback 1 2         # This is important!!!

     title A
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /kernel
     savedefault fallback # This is important!!!

     title B
     root (hd1,0)
     kernel /kernel
     savedefault fallback # This is important!!!

     title C
     root (hd2,0)
     kernel /kernel
     savedefault

Note that `default saved' (see default), `fallback 1 2' and `savedefault
fallback' are used. GRUB will boot the saved entry at index 0 by default and
save a fallback entry as next boot entry with this configuration.

When GRUB tries to boot `A', GRUB saves `1' as next boot entry, because the
command fallback specifies that `1' is the first fallback entry. The entry `1'
is `B', so GRUB will try to boot `B' at next boot time.

Likewise, when GRUB tries to boot `B', GRUB saves `2' as next boot entry,
because fallback specifies `2' as next fallback entry. This makes sure that
GRUB will boot `C' after booting `B'.

--->

SO a combination of the two boot forms might look like this?:

     default saved          # This is important!!!
     timeout 10
     fallback 1 2           # This is important!!!

     title A
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /kernel
     savedefault fallback   # index is zero

     title B
     root (hd1,0)           # assumes a different boot device
     kernel /kernel
     savedefault fallback   # index is one

     title C
     root (hd2,0)           # assumes a third boot device
     kernel /kernel
     savedefault            # index is two

     title the new kernel boot options
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /kernel new_options
     savedefault 0         # index is three but we save 0 for next boot

I am not sure that I am following the logic of this closely enough to place
any reliance in my conclusions but is seems to me that in the last case the
command to issue before rebooting is: grub-set-default 3

Canada  L8E 3C3