[CentOS] issue_discards in lvm.conf

Thu Jun 12 16:38:17 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>
wrote:

> On Wed, June 11, 2014 18:31, Frank Cox wrote:
> > I decided that the next time I reformatted my main desktop computer
> (this one)
> > I would have a ssd installed in it to use for the boot drive.  Now that
> Centos
> > 7 is on the horizon, I'm thinking that the time is approaching when I'll
> want
> > to do that.
> >

> I have a question about SSD respecting security.  Recently I have been
> investigating sanitizing these devices, together with 'smart-phones,
> tablets
> and pads which use flash memory persistent storage. Not to mention the
> ubiquitous USB 'memory stick'.  I have come to the rather unsettling
> conclusion that it is effectively impossible to 'sanitize' these things
> short
> of complete and utter physical destruction, preferably by incineration.  Is
> this in fact the case?

* Hopefully someone who is more of an expert on this matter will speak up.

I've come to the same conclusion.  Due to controller wear leveling and
TRIM, it is difficult to fully sanitize a flash memory (USB flash, SSD).

A former employer of mine contracts out destruction of conventional hard
drives with a machine that has a hydraulic arm and a wedge.  Effectively
bending the platters and some of the drive.  Hardware destruction (prior to
recycling/disposal) in certain business sectors is common place.

--
Mike