[CentOS] procmail and dovecot

Fri Jun 13 16:31:36 UTC 2014
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014, Chuck Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 09:14:06AM -0400, Jason Pyeron wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how to get procmail and dovecot to play happily
>>> together with mboxes? I'm on Centos 6.5, fully patched.
>>>
>>> I'm getting tons of lock timeouts which is killing performance.
>>
>> That is 1 of 2 reasons why we switched to Maildir.
>
> What was the second reason? Always looking for justification to take
> up the line with my recommendations...

I can't speak for Jason, but here are some of our reasons for
switching to Maildir (which works well with procmail):

  1. Incremental backups are much smaller
  2. Large mailboxes aren't a bottle neck

Bruce Schneier recently quipped that sometime around 2006 he stopped
filing messages into named folders because e-mail searches became
faster than manually sort. Many folks now use e-mail clients with
pretty fast search features, so using mailboxes as a sort of
filesystem became inefficient -- so mailboxes (particularly the main
inbox) get large. Maildir is so much faster in that sort of
environment.

(I'm a dinosaur, still using a CLI mail client, so I still prefer
folder-based organization -- but I recognize I'm part of a small and
shrinking minority.)

> Are there any tools to convert procmailrc files to maildir
> compatible recipes?

Changing destination names, and adding closing '/' characters is
really all that's needed. E.g.,

   :0
   * ^List-Id:.*<centos\.centos\.org>
   mailinglists/centos

becomes

   :0
   * ^List-Id:.*<centos\.centos\.org>
   .mailinglists.centos/

The closing '/' tells procmail to use Maildir.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W