[CentOS] apr buildconf fails

Sun Jun 15 03:43:41 UTC 2014
Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com>

> CentOS 5,7 is outdated and vulnerable. yum update to current (5.10 +
> updates).

Because I don't want to earn a pink slip by circumventing authority to
perform an unauthorized upgrade of the OS. :) And I doubt I would get that
kind of approval by going through the proper channels.

> Why are you compiling the apr-utils your own anyway? CentOS is a binary
> distribution, so you repositories which provide the software you need.
> apr-util is provided by base.

OK good advice. I've downloaded the binary rpm's and installed them.

[root at uszmpaplp005lc Alien-SVN-v1.7.17.1]# rpm -qa | grep apr
apr-util-1.3.12-1.jason.1
apr-1.3.12-1.jason.1

However my ultimate goal is to get the CPAN module to recognize APR. My
initial thought was that the CPAN module would recognize a source install
better than an RPM. So I've tried both approaches of installing APR (rpm
and source) and so far I can't get the CPAN module called SVN::Core to
recognize APR.

This is the error I'm getting from trying to do a perl Build.PL of the CPAN
module SVN::Core, in case anyone on the list can provide some help with
this ultimate goal:

configure: Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library configuration
checking for APR... no
configure: WARNING: APR not found
The Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library cannot be found.
Please install APR on this system and supply the appropriate
--with-apr option to 'configure'

or

get it with SVN and put it in a subdirectory of this source:

   svn co \
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/branches/1.3.x \
    apr

Run that right here in the top level of the Subversion tree.
Afterwards, run apr/buildconf in that subdirectory and
then run configure again here.

Whichever of the above you do, you probably need to do
something similar for apr-util, either providing both
--with-apr and --with-apr-util to 'configure', or
getting both from SVN with:

   svn co \
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr-util/branches/1.3.x \
    apr-util

configure: error: no suitable apr found
configuring SVN failed at inc/My/SVN/Builder.pm line 118, <STDIN> line 3.
    Something went wrong with the Subversion configuration.
    Please attempt to correct it and re-run Build.PL.
Warning: No success on command[/usr/local/bin/perl Build.PL]
  MSCHWERN/Alien-SVN-v1.7.17.1.tar.gz
  /usr/local/bin/perl Build.PL -- NOT OK

Thanks
Tim