[CentOS] Question about clustering

Mon Jun 16 18:19:21 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 6/16/2014 10:55 AM, Digimer wrote:
> The main downside to fabric fencing is that the failed node will have no
> chance of recovering without human intervention. Further, it places the
> onus on the admin to not simply unfence the node without first doing
> proper cleanup/recovery. For these reasons, I always recommend power
> fencing (IPMI, PDUs, etc).

how does power fencing change your first 2 statements in any fashion ?
as I see it, it would make manual recovery even harder, as you couldn't
even power up the failed system without first disconnecting it from the
network

When I have used network fencing, I've left the admin ports live, that
way, the operator can access the system console to find out WHY it is
fubar, and put it in a proper state for recovery.   of course, this
implies you have several LAN connections, which is always a good idea
for a clustered system anyways.