[CentOS] Question about clustering

Wed Jun 18 18:46:45 UTC 2014

Digimer wrote:
> On 18/06/14 12:32 PM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Ok, fencing is a requirement for a cluster for hardware failure.
>> I've  another question about this arg, but for software failure.
>> Supposing to have a cluster of httpd installation on 6 virtualized
>> hosts, each one on a different server. Suppose also that a guest (named
>> host6) has a problem and can't start apache. With this scenario, the
>> ipmi, ups are unnecessary. How to work fencing in this way? How to make
>> fencing node?
>>
> I'm not sure I understand properly... You mean that you have 6 VMs which
> are nodes in a cluster, or 6 nodes, each hosting a VM you want to make HA?
<snip>
I'm not clear on what you mean, either. Is this supposed to be a
load-balancing cluster? If so, and you expect that kind of load, I,
personally, would *never* put a VM on them - I'd want the full resources
of the o/s brought to bear on that load, and use multiple real hardware
for the other members. Doing this with VMs is only multi-threading the
load, and adding more, with all the context switches.

     mark