[CentOS] IP aliases Centos 6.x

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Mon Mar 3 23:49:26 UTC 2014

On 3/3/2014 4:34 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 04.03.2014 00:24, schrieb Les Mikesell:
>> What's the right way to assign an IP alias to an ethernet interface
>> that you want to bring up and down manually, not on boot?
>>
>> I tried the old way of making an ifcfg-eth3:0 file and it does work
>> with the ifup, ifdown commands, but even though I specified onboot=no,
>> it activated at boot-up.

If I'm understanding the question correctly...

to bring the link up:
# ifconfig eth0:4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask
255.255.255.xxx up

to bring the link down:
# ifconfig eth0:4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask
255.255.255.xxx down

and don't forget about adding new routing...
# route add -host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dev eth0:4

adjust interface names to match your install.
--
Steve