[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 install

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 10:12:16 UTC 2014

From: Kenny Noe <knoe501 at gmail.com>

> Well shoot!  Thanks for the link.  Definitely explains allot!  I'm going to
> update the box with the latest HP SPP and double check the updated driver
> is available.
> With this RAID controller and 4x 1TB are there any recommendations on the
> best way to install CentOS?  Should I skip the controller, config disk as
> JBOD and RAID from there?  I'd like to get the OS on a RAID but should I
> just build the OS on one disk and then RAID the remaining three?

If you use HP's fakeraid driver:
- you can use HP raid tools.
- your disks will be smartarray compatible, you can plug them on a real smart array they will just work.
- you are dependent on HP to release new drivers for the new OS releases on time...
- HP new policy: out of warranty, no more updates (except security?) for you...

if you use AHCI + mdraid:
- simple, standard, etc...
- not "smartarray compatible".

JD