[CentOS] Question about trademarks

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 00:45:30 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:

> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Pouar <thepouar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm thinking of creating a project based on JBoss EAP the same way
> > > CentOS does with RHEL. Obviously I can't call it JBoss EAP so I thought
> > > I could call it CentAP, for Community Enterprise Application Platform.
> > > Will this infringe on the Red Hat and/or CentOS trademarks?
>
> On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 18:06 -0400, SilverTip257 wrote:
> >
> > Given the recent discussion in the thread below [0], you probably
> shouldn't
> > name it as such.
> >
> > Unless your "spin/project" becomes an official variant.
> > Read Johnny's response (URL below) and respond back if you have any
> > questions.
> >

> > [0] http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2014-February/141070.html
>
> So Centipede is OK, since it is distinctive different from Centos but
> CentAP infringes.
>
> How about CentsAPP or Centsapp ?  That won't infringe.

Good point.
I linked to Johnny's response for just this reason ... read and interpret
for yourself! :)
After all, the person choosing the name is ultimately responsible.

I read the OP's message too quickly and skimmed right by the "AP" replacing
the "OS".
It's still darn close to CentOS (as Digimer points out as well) and I'd be
cautious to choosing CentAP.

> --
> Paul.
> England,
> EU.
>
>    Our systems are exclusively Centos. No Micro$oft Windoze here.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //