[CentOS] Question about trademarks

Always Learning centos at u62.u22.net
Mon Mar 10 20:15:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 14:28 +0000, David G.Miller wrote:

> So, while CentAP or some of the other suggestions may not infringe on
> CentOS, you could still get a C&D from a Red Hat lawyer telling you not to
> use CentAP.  Unless you can afford a really good trademark lawyer to fight
> the C&D, you'll have to discontinue use of CentAP (or whatever).

USA patent law has differences from EU patent law.

I'm not a lawyer either. Once defence is whether RH effectively "stole"
the Centos brand name or colluded to pay money to persons whose property
it wasn't to transfer the brand name from general community ownership,
or offer no opposition to RH registering a brand name which was the de
facto property of a large international community.

If RH agreement eventually went "bad" could the Centos community get
their brand name back from RH ?  Think not.

--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Centos. No Micro$oft Windoze here.