[CentOS] HP dl580 g5 RAID management

Nathan Duehr

denverpilot at me.com
Mon Mar 10 23:13:02 UTC 2014

On Feb 20, 2014, at 3:16 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> That was *exactly* what I needed. Boy, is that interface user hostile.
> Finally got it to tell me the drive'd failed.
>
> Now, if we've got a spare 2.5" drive (I have grave doubts)....

I've got a bunch of time in with these, and I'll warn ya... HP's hardware RAID controllers will take discs offline for very small errors.  We've seen heavy I/O knock a disk out of a RAID 5 that was just fine.  Pop it out, pop it back in, re-sync's and it's fine for a long long time...

Just a heads up... I wouldn't 100% trust what the controller says the disk's state is until you've popped it out and back in and let the controller beat on it for a while to re-sync it.  If it's really dead, it'll decide to show you that in about a minute after you shove it back in the server... light will come back on...

--
Nate Duehr
denverpilot at me.com