[CentOS] Samba on Centos 5/6 differences

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Mar 11 11:11:08 UTC 2014

On 3/10/2014 7:03 PM, Hendrik Strydom wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 11:45 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> Kinda OT.
>>
>> I've been trying to get Samba running on a Centos 5 box for some time
>> now, but can't seem to get it to happen. I can not connect to the
>> machine from our external network but I can connect from a box on the
>> same network. So it seems like a firewall problem.
> This is covering the basics, but did you perhaps limit the IP range
> allowed to connect to the samba service in /etc/samba/smb.conf in either
> the
> interfaces =
> 	or
> hosts allow =
> statements to exclude the external network?
> As far as I know these statements have not changed between CentOS 5 and
> 6.  Sane defaults typically limit this so your shares are not
> potentially exposed to the wider internet.
>
> Alternatively, is your default route set up properly for the other
> network on both machines?
>
> If your samba is configured for access via tcp_wrappers
> /etc/hosts.allow and
> /etc/hosts.deny
> comes into play.  This is again not standard configuration.
>
> If these suggestions don't solve it we may need extracts from your
> configuration files.  Exclude comments and mask sensitive information
> before you post these.
>
> In the basic port open or not firewall configuration the server should
> not care where the connection comes from so I would look at the samba
> configuration first.

Thanks very much. Both hosts.allow and hosts.deny are empty. I've set
the interface to be specifically the IP that all of these would
originate from.

I'm sure it firewalling, I just don't see it yet. I was just checking to
see if any of the defaults from versions had changed mostly, something
less obvious hidden in comments in the config file. I'm not seeing
anything in log files on the samba server or the firewall.

Again thanks,

steve