[CentOS] Disk space warning ("gdu-notification-daemon" type) for remote systems

Toralf Lund

toralf.lund at pgs.com
Tue Mar 11 12:38:16 UTC 2014

//Hi,/

/I need to implement a system of disk space checks and warnings for a
client-server setup running CentOS 6. Simply put, I just want a warning
popup rather like the ones given by gdu-notification-daemon when server
file system is full or nearly full, but they should appear on the client
display(s) rather than locally, and must also work when nobody is logged
directly in to the (server) system.

What do you reckon is the best way of achieving this? I can think of
ways to get what I want via scripts/custom programs/cron jobs, but
perhaps there are "standard" solutions already? I'd like to avoid
re-inventing the wheel... I also know that there are various advanced
solutions for system resource monitoring out there - I've used Nagios in
the past - but it may seem like setting up something like that will be
an overkill in this case.

So what's everyone's thoughts on this?

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.