[CentOS] How do graphical admin tools requiring root get authentication?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:57:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Samuel Winchenbach <swinchen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The "several minutes" to open a window is not a rendering issue.  The user
> experience overall is _very_ good.  As I use it more and more I can not
> seem to recreate the delayed root prompt.
>
> We have used freenx in the past, but with the change of licensing in the
> newest release and several difficulties (mostly involving Max OSX clients)
> we have decided to go with RDP.

Note that x2go does approximately the same as freenx/NX, using some of
the same supporting libraries. However, it is all open source,
including the cross-platform clients.   I had some problems with
earlier versions, but the current version seems pretty good and might
be worth another look.  It is somewhat nicer than the old NX client on
windows because it allows resizing the window after startup - and
resizes the remote desktop to match.  It also claims to connect audio
and client disk shares, but I haven't used those features.

A couple of things that can cause long delays that seem kind of random
are the first of your DNS servers failing with a timeout before the
retry to the good one, or something that does an IDENT query to log
the remote socket user hitting a firewall that silently drops the
packet instead of rejecting with an ICMP.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com