[CentOS] How do graphical admin tools requiring root get authentication?

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 15:18:29 UTC 2014

Well the slow dialog isn't the problem so much.

I have disabled selinux just to remove one variable from the problem!

Here are a list of applications and if they prompt for the root password
correctly:
"Add/Remove Software" -  Application start fine, but when I click apply I
get "Authorization Failed" dialog box.
"Authentication" - Works great!
"Firewall" - I get an
org.fedoraproject.slip.dbus.service.PolKit.NotAuthroized.org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth
error dialog box on start.
"Services" - Application starts fine, but it never prompts for root
password and none of the buttons (enable, disable, start, stop, restart)
seem to do anything
"Software Update" - Application starts fine but "Install Updates" doesn't
do anything.
"Users and Groups" - Works great!

So it is strange that "Authentication" and "Users and Groups" work great,
but the other fail one way or another.  Different authentication
mechanisms?  I am really quite lost.

Sam