[CentOS] Tar Compression issue

Mr Queue lists at mrqueue.com
Tue Mar 18 12:53:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:22:31 +0200
"Bonnie B Mtengwa" <bmtengwa at potraz.gov.zw> wrote:

> I have a file Server CentOS 5.10, its on the internet, so I compress
> all csv into one file using (tar -czvf compressed_files.tar.gz
> *.csv)  on this server so that I can download them as one compressed
> file to save bandwidth, Disk space on this server available is 50Gig,
> so when I copy the files onto Redhat EL 5.9 and decompress them using
> (tar -zxvf *.gz) It decompresses maybe 80% then get error:

FWIW you would likely be able to save a lot more bandwidth using xz
compression. In the below example you can create your compressed archive
all on the fly to your remote server.

$ tar -cJvf - target-file-dir/ | ssh root at remote.server.com "cat

--
Q:	What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming over the
hill? A:	"The elephants are coming over the hill."

Q:	What did he say when saw them coming over the hill wearing
		sunglasses?
A:	Nothing, for he didn't recognize them.