[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Mar 20 21:47:06 UTC 2014

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 3/20/2014 2:18 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> On the other hand, what justifiable reason was there for the massively
>> increased complexity of grub2? And why do all configuration files
>> suddenly *desperately*  need to be xml?
>
> dont worry, in another year or 3, they'll all be JSON instead of XML.

Interesting related thought - just saw this today.

Excerpt:
What happened to the vision in open source?

First, grand schemes have been replaced by little ones, thanks to the rise
of crowdfunding. In supporting all the campaigns in play at any one time,
perhaps the FOSS community has become jaded and short-sighted. Faced with
thousands of dreams, seeing the importance of bigger dreams has perhaps
become harder. In the crowd of dreams that need support, one no doubt
seems much like the other.

To make matters worse, most of the crowdfunding campaigns are highly
personal ones. "Help me finish my movie, my book" is the general request.
"Help me make a living writing code for cool stuff." What you hear far
less often is, "Help me finish this project for the greater good."

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the rise of crowdfunding, and I am a
frequent contributor to causes that catch my imagination. Unquestionably,
the concept has encouraged thousands to try to live out their dreams, and
the creative return has been rich.

All the same, I can see how, amid so many worthy causes, larger scale ones
look less important than they are, and how causes that go beyond the
personal might be hard to see as anything special. After the first half
dozen causes or so, many people lose the ability to distinguish one from
the other, much less rate their importance.
--- end excerpt ---

<http://www.datamation.com/open-source/what-happened-to-the-vision-in-open-source-1.html>

        mark